about this site...

my life, my city

11.18.2007

The Man Incognito



An email my daughter sent in July 2005 that I read again this morning. She makes me laugh each time she tells a story. My hope is that one day she will write a book with the stories of her life. I love you, Erika!

Here is her thoughts on a college degree...


For the past 5 years I have heard the phrase, "once you get that degree,
once you get that college degree." That magical piece of paper, that ticket
to some secret underworld.

As I sit on my bed at 2:21 AM, brushing bugs off of my bed, itching the five
bug bites on my arm until they bleed and desperately sending emails to
participate in psychology research studies, I can't help but think...
the education system is pretty much The Man incognito. He has been doing it
for centuries, in many different guises...dangling the American dream in
front of our noses, luring us in with empty promises and making us think
with each step we are getting closer. In reality, we are all just hamsters
on little wheels running in the Cage of Capitalism. And the education system
is just one more money making scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment