about this site...

my life, my city

9.01.2008

Walk On

It’s now been almost two-and-a-half years since my husband, John, died as a result of suicide. And it still hurts, it still seems like it never happened, it still seems like decades ago, and it still seems like it happened yesterday. And most of all, I still miss him and wish he were here with us. But the reality is that he’s not here, so that is why I work to help others who are also hurting because they have lost a friend or loved one, who themselves suffer from depression or mental illness, and to erase the stigma associated with suicide and depression.

This year I will once again walk in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) Out of the Darkness Walk on Saturday, October 11th. I am asking you to please sponsor me in the walk with whatever donation you feel you can afford. Every dollar helps and is tax deductible. Please follow this link to donate in John’s name and leave a note if you’d like on my donation page.

I also encourage you to forward this to any of your friends and family who you think would like to donate.

This year I am once again involved with the organizing of the Portland walk and it promises to be a wonderful event that celebrates the life of those who died as well as raise awareness and educate.
The goal of this annual event is to raise funds for suicide prevention, erase the stigma surrounding suicide and its causes, to encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek treatment, and to show support for the families and friends of the 33,000 Americans who die by suicide and the 20 million people that suffer from depression each year.

Every 16 minutes someone in this country dies as a result of suicide. It is estimated that a suicide attempt is made every one minute. The 33,000 Americans who die by suicide each year is three times the number of people who die from aids, homicide, or cancer. These are completely unacceptable numbers; it means that we must do something now.

On the first anniversary of John’s death I wrote a heartfelt story of what it was like to get through that first year without him. If you would like to read it, go to my post on this blog titled 525,600 Minutes.

Thank you for your support, it means the world to me!

For a song that speaks to my heart and soul listen to the lyrics of "Shine" by Keith Urban that is posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment